Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thank God for Wallace

Crutches ain't easy. In fact, I would say they are rather archaic. No one walks so straight forward. No one hops. I mean, crutching down a wide and clear hallway, well now, that's no so hard. But add some incline, a few steps, hell even a rug can create the most hazardous of obstacles.
I'm used to having a swagger. 
It's funny. When this all happened, my mother had brought me crutches (we have about 30 
pairs in the basement) from home. The hospital also gave me a pair. They are aluminum and look identical to each other. For the first few days I had been using one old crutch and one new crutch. They were uneven and unfitted for my height. It wasn't until Liz, who just recently became a Wilderness First Responder, was on the scene. After she figured it all out, moving around on the crutches wasn't so bad. But let it be known, if I didn't have Wallace, things would be horrendous. 

Who is Wallace? Wallace is my plaid, Scottish wheelchair. 
He is reliable and has got one hell of a pair of wheels. 


And, he's also got this really awesome back pouch. I love it. I keep my house phone, cell phone, cigarettes, lighter and a snack in here. Unfortunately, a girl by the name of Kelley used it as a garbage today behind my back ( so to speak). Oh the adventures!

I may be gaining some lbs, but I love Wallace.


No comments:

Post a Comment